• Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:23 AM

http://www.sun-senti...947,print.story

Phil Jackson: Heat's Dwyane Wade goes for strolls

By Ira Winderman

SunSentinel.com

1:04 AM EST, January 12, 2009

LOS ANGELES

The last time the Heat was in Los Angeles, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy spoke of how Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade gets away with carrying the ball.

Back at Staples Center on Sunday night, Wade learned that he apparently also travels.

"What he's really been able to do is that pick-up move, that the Europeans really have brought in," Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson said before Sunday's 108-105 victory over the Heat at Staples Center. "We all would consider that a walk move: Pick up the ball, take two steps, that's two and a half steps. And he's been able to get a long distance on that.

"And because of his ability to change directions from left to right and right to left very well, he's able to avoid defenses, and he's exceptional at that."

In some ways, Jackson's observation is similar to Dunleavy's, who said, "His ability to carry the ball right now, he's getting away with that. He (carries) left to right, right to left, but he just does it fast, so nobody sees it, I guess."

Jackson said he sees, but it is difficult for the referees to notice.

"It's very difficult to referee the game and look at the feet," Jackson said. "In this league, our referees have decided they're going to referee the defense, not the offense, and so the offensive players obviously get away with more than the defense does, because they're looking at the defensive players."

Of course, Jackson also coached Michael Jordan, who was known to get an extra step or two during their Chicago championship days, although he said even Jordan endured a crackdown.

"That drop step was what they were getting him on," Jackson said. "One year they called it every time… even if you did it right."

Jackson said the officials were poised at the start of the season to crack down on moves such as Wade's spin into the lane.

"You get to this part of the season," Jackson said, "and it's gone, totally dissipates, and no one's calling it.

"The cry from the coaches is if you actually execute and call the games as supposed to be played, the players will adjust to it. They'll make those adjustments. And these players don't have to have those moves. They just do what the limits are."

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@SunSentinel.com.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think the league is going to do much about it. They've been pretty inconsistent with these calls. I do remember Ariza getting a bunch of traveling calls yesterday though. If they do start calling more traveling violations, I think it would be better for the players to learn their limits and adjust. Otherwise if it becomes inconsistent, it'll be just like that LeBron is dealing with right now.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:24 PM

He does get away with a lot of poop. Just like LeBron's 'crab dribble' finally, FINALLY got exposed, and even then, I still don't think they'll be calling it everytime unfortunately, KG's illegal screens & cheap shots.

I can't believe how bad the league is sometimes just when certain violations couldn't be any more obvious game in game out in front of their faces.

#4 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,662 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:26 PM

if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em

Posted Image

#5 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:28 PM

Funny how Phil said that, and Ariza got called for 3 traveling violations during the same game.

#6 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:25 PM

D-Whistle is the league's adopted child.

1. He got away with too much in 06' finals.
2. There's way too many commercials with him.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#7 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:26 PM

I love his commercials though, especially the ones with Barkley.

#8 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:34 PM

D-Whistle

Wow, don't even get me started on that. Everyone just go search YouTube for that series if you haven't already. UNFREAKIN"BELIEVEABLE. If you thought you've seen the worst of NBA refereeing and star treatment at its most extreme, then you gotta' see that. Plenty of plays where D-Whistle was literally LITERALLY NOT EVEN TOUCHED, and they'd give him free points at the line. So ridiculous, especially at the end of the games down the stretch more than any other time, they'd reward his arse for [expletive] he didn't deserve nor earn.

#9 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 12, 2009 - 04:41 PM

Wow, don't even get me started on that. Everyone just go search YouTube for that series if you haven't already. UNFREAKIN"BELIEVEABLE. If you thought you've seen the worst of NBA refereeing and star treatment at its most extreme, then you gotta' see that. Plenty of plays where D-Whistle was literally LITERALLY NOT EVEN TOUCHED, and they'd give him free points at the line. So ridiculous, especially at the end of the games down the stretch more than any other time, they'd reward his arse for [expletive] he didn't deserve nor earn.

When they said there was a playoff series decided by refs last year i was sure they meant the 06' Finals. Honestly if i was Mark Cuban i would of protested some of the games and as crazy as he is, he should of.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Kobe gets away with some things also. D-Whistle gets away with MOST things. That about the only difference.

Oh, and Lebron not only gets away with stuff, he thinks he's ENTITLED to those BOGUS calls!!!

#11 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,812 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:41 PM

Exactly, I was so pissed off after those Finals were over. D-Whistle gets away with SO much. <_<

#12 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:53 PM

i gotta say for a SUPERSTAR, KOBE DOESNT GET AWAY WITH THAT MUCH,He gets scratched a hit upside the head without calls constantly
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#13 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 12, 2009 - 06:05 PM

Yeah yeah yeah, the opponent always gets away with things, while we're the victim who gets away with nothing...blah blah blah, wash your hands, same complaints all the time.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#14 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 12, 2009 - 06:27 PM

D-Whistle is the league's adopted child.

Well, they put Harris (too small) on Wade, that spelt disaster, plus they doubled Shaq most of the time (why?)... That is like laying down the red carpet at the paint...

Then Dirk was shooting 15-20 foot fadeaways over midgets like Posey and Haslem (of course bricking them), when he should be posting all night... Wait, what post game...

That was a pretty bad Finals, but it's their fault too...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#15 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:01 PM

yea but arizas travels are easy to calls because he never even dribbles......what they are talking about is when wade firts picks up his dribble....

so its a much tougher call....

besides...it looks like vlad travels on most of his dunks....

didnt say he does...it just sure as hell looks like it....

Edited by jackmode211, January 12, 2009 - 09:01 PM.

#16 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:15 PM

Whatever happened to the league calling flops or giving technicals for really bad flops?

#17 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 13, 2009 - 12:12 AM

Whatever happened to the league calling flops or giving technicals for really bad flops?

bull-ish to make fans happy at the beginning of the season and then forget about it ... noitce it was a big thing before the season started and now the news outlet dont mention anything
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users