45 replies to this topic

#21 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:15 PM

I am not sure Kobe is overrated in any manner. He has to do a lot on offense so his D suffers some plus he likes to cover the best player on the other team if he is a guard. I think his defense is better than most in the NBA

#22 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,668 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 12, 2009 - 03:35 PM

^i think kobe's defense of one of the best in the nba

2div

#23 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 12, 2009 - 05:59 PM

yeah, kobe did an excellent job of denying d-wade the ball last night, after he complained to the refs that d-wade kept pushing off to free up space. Overall Kobe roams to help disrupt other players. Plus our new system requires double teams constantly.
and cp3 shouldnt be on that list. BTW, i likw kobe's d better than Artests'
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#24 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:08 PM

"Tell me something....How does roaming around on defense HELP the team? That's pretty ridiculous, my friend."

imagine kobe waisting his time guarding rajon rondo.......when pierce , kg, and ray allen can beat their defenders....when rondo cant even shoot....

thats pretty much how it works....

but i agree kobe gambling a little too much...

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:12 PM

kobe is hilarious because he can lockdown guys like dwayne wade and other star guards but gets lit up by guys like john salmons

the i only play good defense if i respect you attitude needs to stop
Posted Image

#26 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 12, 2009 - 09:39 PM

LOL, you answered your own question. HELP. Help defense is his role. When playing the roamer, he's usually put on the player, either a G or SF, that is the least offensive threat, someone who doesn't need much defensive attention. He is able to intercept the passing lanes, be a secondary defender, and basically help when a teammate needs it.

It's one thing for him to play that one man zone and roam to help, but he barely does anything effective when he goes to that. Instead of helping it's become more of a sit back and chill thing. Instead of guarding a crappy player it would probably be better if he guarded the BEST player since guards continuously rip into our defense every night.

I think with Kobe's defense it's developed into a thing where instead of actually critiquing what it is now, we look at it for what it WAS over the years and what they know he's capable of. But when it comes to him actually shutting someone down or at least making them work he's definitely slacked off over the years.

Edited by Heir, January 12, 2009 - 09:46 PM.

Basketball Reasons...

#27 EchoZulu

EchoZulu

EazyRidin'

• 98 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Chuck Nevitt

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:24 PM

When Kobe's roaming around on defense, and not guarding the player that he should, the Lakers are basically playing 4 on 5 on that end. Watch the game closely my friends.

Some of you say that leaving a guy like Rajon Rondo is a good idea...?...Really? He's shooting 50% from the field and is probably considered one the best up and coming young point guards out there right now.

I'm not saying that Kobe is a terrible defender...All I'm saying is that he picks and chooses when he wants to put on his "A" game as far as his defense is concerned.

Others say that Kobe has to take breathers on the defensive end because we need him to expend needed energy on the offense. I would've agreed with that statement 3 years ago...but offense is the least of our problems right now. He now can relinquish some of the "O" to guys like Pau and Bynum, and use that extra "umph" on "D"....but he doesn't...because once again, he picks and chooses when he wants to play the defense he's known for. And that absolutely hurts the team because his lazy defense resonates throughout the whole team.

I'm not putting the Lakers defensive woas all on Kobe....but it only takes one player to muck up the team concept.

See Smush Parker.......

#28 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:36 PM

^Right.

A lot of times Kobe falls asleep and one of his teammates has to cover his back, which leaves THEIR man open.
Basketball Reasons...

#29 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:43 PM

Watch the money times, Kobe is the best defender at guard position.

co sign times a million

end thread.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#30 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 12, 2009 - 10:53 PM

When Kobe's roaming around on defense, and not guarding the player that he should, the Lakers are basically playing 4 on 5 on that end. Watch the game closely my friends.

Some of you say that leaving a guy like Rajon Rondo is a good idea...?...Really? He's shooting 50% from the field and is probably considered one the best up and coming young point guards out there right now.

I'm not saying that Kobe is a terrible defender...All I'm saying is that he picks and chooses when he wants to put on his "A" game as far as his defense is concerned.

Others say that Kobe has to take breathers on the defensive end because we need him to expend needed energy on the offense. I would've agreed with that statement 3 years ago...but offense is the least of our problems right now. He now can relinquish some of the "O" to guys like Pau and Bynum, and use that extra "umph" on "D"....but he doesn't...because once again, he picks and chooses when he wants to play the defense he's known for. And that absolutely hurts the team because his lazy defense resonates throughout the whole team.

I'm not putting the Lakers defensive woas all on Kobe....but it only takes one player to muck up the team concept.

See Smush Parker.......

Yes leaving Rondo is a good idea. He is not an outside or a mid-range threat AT ALL. Kobe does pick him up when Rondo does have a ball, but gives him plenty of space. 50% is because most of his opportunities are close to the basket. So when you have offensive threats like Garnett, Allen, and Pierce, then I'd let Rondo take all the outside and mid-range shots that he wants.

Yes Kobe does pick and choose his spots, and it can get annoying. But Kobe's defense is not overrated. It's great defense when he chooses to lock someone down. I don't think he deserves first team all-defensive over guys who lock their opponents down (or at least try to) night in and night out. But yes, Kobe is a great defender.

#31 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 12, 2009 - 11:01 PM

rondo shoots 50% from the field because most of his sttempts are from inside the paint, go to 82games.com, and check his jumpshot percentage ... use a different guy next time if you want to compare ... not rondo
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#32 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 13, 2009 - 03:05 AM

Well... While he is still Laker's best defender, he is inconsistent like hell...

Sometimes you see him shutdown guys like T-mac, Iverson, Wade, etc... Then sometimes you see him get burned by the likes of John Salmons, Larry Hughes, etc...

But please,Chris Paul doesn't deserve 1st team D... He is basically another Marcus Camby... Good help D, pathetic 1-on-1 D...

Rondo, minus finishing at the paint (something D-fish cannot do at all), is Kwame Brown offensively...

Edited by Avtomat Kalashnikov, January 13, 2009 - 03:06 AM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#33 EchoZulu

EchoZulu

EazyRidin'

• 98 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 04:46 AM

rondo shoots 50% from the field because most of his sttempts are from inside the paint, go to 82games.com, and check his jumpshot percentage ... use a different guy next time if you want to compare ... not rondo

I was responding to another post who mentioned Rondo's name...

imagine kobe waisting his time guarding rajon rondo.......when pierce , kg, and ray allen can beat their defenders....when rondo cant even shoot....

A player doesn't have to shoot from the outside to hurt you btw....

#34 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 10:02 AM

"Some of you say that leaving a guy like Rajon Rondo is a good idea...?...Really? He's shooting 50% from the field and is probably considered one the best up and coming young point guards out there right now."

maybe...but from the outsides hes not even going to take the shot....you miss 100 percent of the shots you dont take (or something like that) ....

rondo dosent have that kinda confidence....so hes not really a threat , like d wade or tmac...who kobe would actually stick...

#35 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 13, 2009 - 10:23 AM

I was responding to another post who mentioned Rondo's name...

A player doesn't have to shoot from the outside to hurt you btw....

You picked a terrible example with Rondo. You should just give up. When playing the roamer role against Rondo and the C's, the advantages >>> disadvantages.

#36 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 439 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 11:11 AM

You picked a terrible example with Rondo. You should just give up. When playing the roamer role against Rondo and the C's, the advantages >>> disadvantages.

he was responding to me...i mentioned that the roamer role is perfect when playing with the celtics...because rondo A)isnt that great a shooter B)lacks confidence in shot C)makes plenty of mistakes(not taking anything away from the kid...but hes not chris pual or deron williams)

in fact this is a lil off topic...but the only guards i really dont want shooting is chris pual and steve nash....because niether miss when the game is on the line....

#37 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 05:39 PM

Well... While he is still Laker's best defender, he is inconsistent like hell...

Sometimes you see him shutdown guys like T-mac, Iverson, Wade, etc... Then sometimes you see him get burned by the likes of John Salmons, Larry Hughes, etc...

But please,Chris Paul doesn't deserve 1st team D... He is basically another Marcus Camby... Good help D, pathetic 1-on-1 D...

Rondo, minus finishing at the paint (something D-fish cannot do at all), is Kwame Brown offensively...

not to pick on your pick, but who expects him to shut down every player all the time. Those latter guys you named probably werent Kobe's focus, and Salmons is a damn good player.
I feel as though if Kobe is established as a roamer, then why dont people rotate when kobe's man drives to the basket. But MJ was a roamer, thats how he stole the ball from Malone in the fourth of game 6 of the 6th title.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#38 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:47 PM

not to pick on your pick, but who expects him to shut down every player all the time. Those latter guys you named probably werent Kobe's focus, and Salmons is a damn good player.
I feel as though if Kobe is established as a roamer, then why dont people rotate when kobe's man drives to the basket. But MJ was a roamer, thats how he stole the ball from Malone in the fourth of game 6 of the 6th title.

Because then they have to leave THEIR man. It doesn't matter what they do, if they let Kobe's man stay free that's one guy open and if they rotate that's STILL one guy open. Either way we're playing 4 on 5.

The roaming has worked out well against Wafer tonight as well. That's why Phil replaced Kobe with Ariza on him after that timeout. :rolleyes:
Basketball Reasons...

#39 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Because then they have to leave THEIR man. It doesn't matter what they do, if they let Kobe's man stay free that's one guy open and if they rotate that's STILL one guy open. Either way we're playing 4 on 5.

The roaming has worked out well against Wafer tonight as well. That's why Phil replaced Kobe with Ariza on him after that timeout. :rolleyes:

youre right, kobe shouldnt roam, he should play like you guys want him to play, then he would finally get his props as a great defender, by the people who matter most, the Lakers fanatics, who criticize too much, and would have had critiques of Magic and Kareem had the internet been around(justified critiques of course). Usually roaming on Von wafer is a good thing, b/c Yao is really killing us at this moment, not wafer.

#40 EchoZulu

EchoZulu

EazyRidin'

• 98 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 07:23 PM

Give up? Give up on what son? I don't need to prove anything to you or anybody else because I already know what I know...Are you watching what Wafer's doing tonight? (Check the Worthy spin dude) It's all gravy, I've dealt with people like you with those heavy Kobe blinders, who has an absolute myopic view of the fella. Note: I am not a Kobe hater...I'm a Laker fan first and foremost, and I call it the way I see it. You have your view and I have mine...that's what these forums are all about.

Yes Kobe does pick and choose his spots, and it can get annoying. But Kobe's defense is not overrated. It's great defense when he chooses to lock someone down. I don't think he deserves first team all-defensive over guys who lock their opponents down (or at least try to) night in and night out. But yes, Kobe is a great defender.

Huh!? Say what now?...*scratches head*

The roaming has worked out well against Wafer tonight as well. That's why Phil replaced Kobe with Ariza on him after that timeout. rolleyes.gif

Thank you Heir...A guy who calls it the way it is.

Edited by Eazy, January 13, 2009 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users