Bogut over Bynum?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:29 PM

Bynum is better right now, by far. Don't forget that Bynum isn't our second scoring option and still averaging more that Bogut. As for rebounds, we also have Gasol, Odom, sometimes Powell, and even Kobe (His rebounding, as far as guards go, is above average), hitting the boards every game. Bogut plays more minutes on a scrub team, averaging less points, 2 more rebounds, and not playing as great defense as Bynum.

When teams play the Bucks though, because Bogut is the only decent big man they have, the opposition focusing on locking down Bogut downlow. Whereas on the Lakers, there are several players that can be a threat down low. That has to damage Bogut's numbers.

Bynum for sure. Not even cuz he's already here, I've just never ever liked Bogut at all for various reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy either to be honest. But right now Bynum's 8 points and 3 rebound games are really starting to annoy me, especially when he moans about not having a big enough role after the game.

Edited by Darth Bynumite, January 10, 2009 - 06:30 PM.

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#22 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Bynum owned Bogut, their last 3 meetings...

11/21/07 (LA lost)
Bogut: 13 PTS (54.5%) 4 REB 5 AST 1 STL 2 BLK 6 PF @ 24 minutes
Bynum: 16 PTS (50.0%) 13 REB 1 AST 0 STL 1 BLK 4 PF @ 26 minutes

01/11/08 (LA won)
Bogut: 14 PTS (41.7%) 11 REB 5 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 5 PF @ 29 minutes
Bynum: 25 PTS (76.9%) 17 REB 2 AST 0 STL 3 BLK 1 PF @ 37 minutes

12/07/09 (LA won)
Bogut: 6 PTS (37.5%) 9 REB 5 AST 0 STL 0 BLK 0 PF @ 24 minutes
Bynum: 14 PTS (44.4%) 14 REB 1 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 1 PF @ 29 minutes
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#23 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Bynum owned Bogut, their last 3 meetings...

11/21/07 (LA lost)
Bogut: 13 PTS (54.5%) 4 REB 5 AST 1 STL 2 BLK 6 PF @ 24 minutes
Bynum: 16 PTS (50.0%) 13 REB 1 AST 0 STL 1 BLK 4 PF @ 26 minutes

01/11/08 (LA won)
Bogut: 14 PTS (41.7%) 11 REB 5 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 5 PF @ 29 minutes
Bynum: 25 PTS (76.9%) 17 REB 2 AST 0 STL 3 BLK 1 PF @ 37 minutes

12/07/09 (LA won)
Bogut: 6 PTS (37.5%) 9 REB 5 AST 0 STL 0 BLK 0 PF @ 24 minutes
Bynum: 14 PTS (44.4%) 14 REB 1 AST 0 STL 2 BLK 1 PF @ 29 minutes

Have you also noticed how Bogut has played less minutes than Bynum in each of those games?

My questioning of Bynum was also to do more with consistency. Here we can see examples of Bynum having a good game.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#24 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:39 PM

That is because he is more foul-prone than Bynum...

Yeah, Bogut is consistent... I'll take Bynum because he can anchor in the paint, better defender, rebounder when he is sharing the boards with LO, Pau and Kobe (he is a pretty good rebounder for his position)...

Edited by Avtomat Kalashnikov, January 10, 2009 - 06:42 PM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#25 Vaporize

Vaporize

Sixth Man

• 2,939 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:43 PM

Bynum is getting more touches the past few games, getting himself 18 pts, then 20 pts. Rebounds are up and down, but we just need him to be a presence in the paint on both sides.

Posted Image

#26 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Bynum is better right now, by far. Don't forget that Bynum isn't our second scoring option and still averaging more that Bogut. As for rebounds, we also have Gasol, Odom, sometimes Powell, and even Kobe (His rebounding, as far as guards go, is above average), hitting the boards every game. Bogut plays more minutes on a scrub team, averaging less points, 2 more rebounds, and not playing as great defense as Bynum.

I like Bynum just as much as the next guy, but you're wrong.

Bogut plays only 2-3 more minutes than Bynum, takes fewer FG attempts, and is actually a really good defender.

Given, he's not as good as Bynum defensively. But Bogut isn't that far off.

I don't know why everybody underrates Bogut. He did have 2 great PG's picked after him, but that happens. He's still one of the best centers in the game.

in the end though, Bynum is the better player. We don't utilize him properly. The minute we get him 12 shots a game consistently, is the minute he'll jump into the 18 ppg range. He just needs to be fed.

FEED THE BEAST.

Edited by lakerfool, January 10, 2009 - 06:50 PM.

Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#27 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:46 PM

Bynum is getting more touches the past few games, getting himself 18 pts, then 20 pts. Rebounds are up and down, but we just need him to be a presence in the paint on both sides.

I agree completely. It's more about the touches that Bynum is getting and how it helps to build up his confidence as we proceed with the season. If he can score when we need him, grab boards whenever he can, and make an impact on the defensive end, that's all we need from Bynum.

#28 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:50 PM

I don't know why everybody underrates Bogut. He did have 2 great PG's picked after him, but that happens. He's still one of the best centers in the game.

Where would he be among the best C's in the game? Considering there aren't that many great Centers in the league, that's not much of a compliment. He's a serviceable guy, I'll give him that, but he's not as good as Bynum. He's certainly playing better than Bynum at the moment, but only by a slight margin. I'd take Bynum over Bogut any day.

#29 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Bogut is a 1st scoring option? Redd and Jefferson take most of the shots. Bogut is a 3rd option just like Bynum. You also have Charlie V who takes a lot of shots off the bench. Bogut is far from a main option.

He plays 3 more minutes, and their team is actually contending for a playoff position in a now tougher Eastern Conference. He averages less points because he has about 1 less FGA per game.

I'm taking Bynum over him, but in regards to THIS YEAR, with a lot of dud games from Bynum, it's not by far.

Edited by lakerfool, January 10, 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#30 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Bogut is a 1st scoring option? Redd and Jefferson take most of the shots. Bogut is a 3rd option just like Bynum. You also have Charlie V who takes a lot of shots off the bench. Bogut is far from a main option.

He plays 3 more minutes, and their team is actually contending for a playoff position in a now tougher Eastern Conference. He averages less points because he has about 1 less FGA per game.

I'm taking Bynum over him, but in regards to THIS YEAR, with a lot of dud games from Bynum, it's not by far.

I never said he was a 1st scoring option. Fine, he's a 3rd option like Bynum, yet Bynum produces more than Bogut, plays better defense, but grabs 2 fewer rebounds (we have sooo many people hitting the boards). Bynum has had a few dud games this season, but he isn't the same Bynum from last season...yet. Bynum > Bogut, even with the somewhat disappointing season Bynum is having this year (feed him!).

#31 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:41 PM

bogut is soft down low and has no ability whatsoever to be a legitimate defensive anchor
Posted Image

#32 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Maybe the better question is who would you rather have right now, Andrew Bogut or Chris Kaman?

#33 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 07:57 PM

Maybe the better question is who would you rather have right now, Andrew Bogut or Chris Kaman?

exactly bogut IMO is not even on bynums level

if bynum was the primary post guy his numbers would be much different
Posted Image

#34 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 08:26 PM

Yea like someone pointed out, Bynum just needs more touches, we're not utilizing him to be the best he can be.

Either way, his rebounding numbers recently are disgusting. Bynum should be gobbling up rebounds no matter what, it's not like he's just playing 10 minutes a game.

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Yea like someone pointed out, Bynum just needs more touches, we're not utilizing him to be the best he can be.

Either way, his rebounding numbers recently are disgusting. Bynum should be gobbling up rebounds no matter what, it's not like he's just playing 10 minutes a game.

yes he should be pulling down double digits in boards but 8 per game is far from disgusting
Posted Image

#36 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I never said he was a 1st scoring option. Fine, he's a 3rd option like Bynum, yet Bynum produces more than Bogut, plays better defense, but grabs 2 fewer rebounds (we have sooo many people hitting the boards). Bynum has had a few dud games this season, but he isn't the same Bynum from last season...yet. Bynum > Bogut, even with the somewhat disappointing season Bynum is having this year (feed him!).

Bynum scores ONE more point on ONE more FGA. I don't know where you're going right there.

Plays better defense, yes.

This argument is based on THIS season. Of course you pick Bynum if you factor in age and the fact that he's not 100%. But THIS season it's a lot closer than youre making it out to be.

#37 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:29 PM

yes he should be pulling down double digits in boards but 8 per game is far from disgusting

Yea 8rpg is very respectable, especially with Odom and Gasol on the team, but I mean in the last few weeks we've seen games of 5, 4, and 2 rebound games. That should never be happening. He's huge and like I said, not just getting 10min pg. He's not Eddy Curry, he's our next big thing, the BEAST of LA.

#38 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:46 PM

Bynum scores ONE more point on ONE more FGA. I don't know where you're going right there.

Plays better defense, yes.

This argument is based on THIS season. Of course you pick Bynum if you factor in age and the fact that he's not 100%. But THIS season it's a lot closer than youre making it out to be.

Hmm, really? I didn't know the FG specifics of Bynum's scoring. Well, that isn't really where Bynum makes his big impact for us; he changes the dynamics of this team when he's out on the floor. His being on the floor opens up things for Pau, he changes shots on the other end of the floor (when he puts his mind to it), he forces teams to adjust their defenses. I don't think Bogut could do these sort of things for us.

I'm probably basing my opinion on having seen Bynum for the past few years develop and not seeing much of Bogut, but I truly believe that Bynum is better than Bogut. He may not be playing very well thus far into the season, but it isn't really fair to put Bogut over Bynum, as some may, based on half a season worth of games. One has to look at the big picture, at how they've played their entire careers thus far. If we look at that, Bynum, when given the minutes, is clearly better than Andrew Bogut.

But, I suppose we could argue over Bynum is a little bit or a lot better than Bogut, but at the end, we both agree that Bynum IS better than Bogut.

#39 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 10, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, but is Bogut better than Chris Kaman?

#40 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, but is Bogut better than Chris Kaman?

Honestly, I have no clue. Wasn't Kaman playing great last season only to suck this season before he went down with injury?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users