Bogut over Bynum?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:40 PM

Throw potential aside, who would you rather have on this Lakers team right now, Bogut or Bynum?

I know some guys out there are going to throw a sissy fit, I love Bynum too (see my username), but recently his play has been uninspiring. No 7 footer (or 7'1" as he recently claims), should have these 4 rebound games that Bynum has. Just uninspiring.

Bogut puts up a similar amount of points, but at the same time he is more consistent rebounding and doesn't take these "WTF shots" at key points in the game.

Right now, I'd have to say that Bogut is playing much better than Bynum, although I definitely feel Bynum has much higher potential if he can sort out his work ethic.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#2 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'd rather have Bynum. Bynum > Bogut. Though I do like Bogut, but only because of this:

That's pretty much all Bogut has going for me. Huge bust as far as 1st overalls go...

#3 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:51 PM

That's pretty much all Bogut has going for me. Huge bust as far as 1st overalls go...

Remember though, we are talking about current ability, not potential ability. Would you say that Bynum is currently playing better than Bogut?

#4 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:55 PM

Bogut isn't a bust, just not the best player in that draft his numbers are solid near 12ppg 9rbg career. He turned out better then Kwame and Olowokandi. As far as vs Bynum, Bogut is a weak defender and the ceiling for Bynum's game is higher.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#5 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:56 PM

Bogut isn't a bust, just not the best player in that draft his numbers are solid near 12ppg 9rbg career. He turned out better then Kwame and Olowokandi. As far as vs Bynum, Bogut is a weak defender and the ceiling for Bynum's game is higher.

Again, I'm not talking about who has a higher ceiling, I mean who is playing better RIGHT NOW.

Bogut is clearly playing better.

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 04:58 PM

Remember though, we are talking about current ability, not potential ability. Would you say that Bynum is currently playing better than Bogut?

No, but that's faulty logic. Any player could go through a bad stretch, that's probably what is happening with Bynum. Bynum may not be hitting the boards with as much effort as before, but we've seen what he can do, he's just going through a bad stretch. Anyone can go through a bad stretch, just like anyone can get hot and tear the league up for a few games.

For example, let's say Pau Gasol went through a horrid streak where he's shooting 36% over the course of 5 games and Dirk Nowitzki suddenly caught on fire for a month, starting hitting the boards hard, and played good defense. Wouldn't you naturally want Dirk instead of Gasol at that point? Considering that Dirk would actually be a GREAT fit for us and with our system, wouldn't you want him instead of Gasol at that point? That's kind of what this Bynum/Bogut scenario seems like to me.

#7 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:00 PM

Again, I'm not talking about who has a higher ceiling, I mean who is playing better RIGHT NOW.

Bogut is clearly playing better.

There numbers are almost equal for the season though Bogut is avg more boards but Bynum is a better defender.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#8 Thizz

Thizz

Rookie

• 299 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:14 PM

Bynum by a lot. You seem forget that while Bynum is at most a 3rd or 4th option on the Lakers, Bogut is the only low post presence on the Bucks. Also I have seen this guy play and he is terrible. Decent rebounder, but horrible defender and bad attitude. Give me Bynum any day over this fool.

#9 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:25 PM

OK, let's add to this logic that the playoffs are starting tomorrow. Andrew Bynum by a country mile. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I'll add to this that when I've seen them play against each other, Bynum looks like the better of the 2 players.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 10, 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#10 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:39 PM

I would take Bynum over Bogut

#11 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 05:58 PM

Bynum by a lot. You seem forget that while Bynum is at most a 3rd or 4th option on the Lakers, Bogut is the only low post presence on the Bucks. Also I have seen this guy play and he is terrible. Decent rebounder, but horrible defender and bad attitude. Give me Bynum any day over this fool.

The same reasoning could be used the other way. Bynum has Kobe and Gasol who draw attention away from him, yet he still manages to mess things up.

Don''t worry, I'm not really anti-Bynum, just playing devil's advocate. ;)

#12 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:01 PM

No, but that's faulty logic. Any player could go through a bad stretch, that's probably what is happening with Bynum. Bynum may not be hitting the boards with as much effort as before, but we've seen what he can do, he's just going through a bad stretch. Anyone can go through a bad stretch, just like anyone can get hot and tear the league up for a few games.

For example, let's say Pau Gasol went through a horrid streak where he's shooting 36% over the course of 5 games and Dirk Nowitzki suddenly caught on fire for a month, starting hitting the boards hard, and played good defense. Wouldn't you naturally want Dirk instead of Gasol at that point? Considering that Dirk would actually be a GREAT fit for us and with our system, wouldn't you want him instead of Gasol at that point? That's kind of what this Bynum/Bogut scenario seems like to me.

But we aren't talking about "a month of bad play". Bynum really has never been effective scoring or rebounding CONSISTENTLY all season long.

A one month streak and the NBA season up to mid January is a HUGE difference.

#13 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:14 PM

He's coming back from a long injury. It takes a while to get back in the flow when your team doesn't change. He has Gasol there now to get familiar with as well as getting his own timing back. And the other fellows have to learn how Gasol and him will play together down low.

Edited by Mo Rings, January 10, 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#14 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:15 PM

Would never take Dirk over Pau. Pau is the perfect compliment to Kobe.

#15 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:20 PM

But we aren't talking about "a month of bad play". Bynum really has never been effective scoring or rebounding CONSISTENTLY all season long.

A one month streak and the NBA season up to mid January is a HUGE difference.

Bynum is coming back from a huge injury, it's bound to take an extended amount of time to return to the form he was at before. As far as a head to head comparison of the two, Bogut is grabbing 2 more boards per game than Bynum, but doesn't have the same offensive or defensive impact that Bynum does. Not to mention Bynum is bigger and stronger than Bogut...

Bynum > Bogut. If we proposed a swap to Milwaukee, I guarantee you that they'd jump on that deal as soon as they saw it. Bynum is that much better than Bogut.

#16 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:20 PM

He's coming back from a long injury. It takes a while to get back in the flow, when your team doesn't change. He has Gasol there now to get familiar with as well as getting his own timing back.

Does this excuse these sorts of games?:

http://www.nba.com/g...C/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/g...L/boxscore.html
http://www.nba.com/g...A/boxscore.html

I'm sure you could find similar sorts of games from Bogut, but are they as frequent?

(As I said, just playing devil's advocate).

#17 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:21 PM

Would never take Dirk over Pau. Pau is the perfect compliment to Kobe.

Which is why it was an example. I wouldn't do it either, and that probably wasn't a very good example at all now that I look over it. :lol:

#18 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Bynum > Bogut. If we proposed a swap to Milwaukee, I guarantee you that they'd jump on that deal as soon as they saw it. Bynum is that much better than Bogut.

Would they jump on it because Bynum is better right now or because Bynum will become better?

#19 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Bynum is better right now, by far. Don't forget that Bynum isn't our second scoring option and still averaging more that Bogut. As for rebounds, we also have Gasol, Odom, sometimes Powell, and even Kobe (His rebounding, as far as guards go, is above average), hitting the boards every game. Bogut plays more minutes on a scrub team, averaging less points, 2 more rebounds, and not playing as great defense as Bynum.

#20 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 10, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Bynum for sure. Not even cuz he's already here, I've just never ever liked Bogut at all for various reasons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users